Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Max

I think maybe I'm a little crazy, but I'm still interested in reading some of the books that I never got around to reading during my post-graduate studies. Now, I'm working on reading books on the list that I wasn't focusing on-basically all lit Spanish. Since moving to Santiago, Mr.Valle-Inclan has become must-see stop in the Alameda if you don't sit and take a look at the Cathedral with him? So, I finally decided it was time to read his most important play "Luces de Bohemia" and the beginning of esperpento. A critique of Spanish society at the beginning of the 20th century, when Spanish society was being upheaved by war, monarchy, and dictatorship (all this was the groundwork for the Spanish Civil War in the 1930's), the star of the story, is Max Estrella, a blind poet who we follow as he meets, debates, and suffers through the barrios of Madrid one fateful night. Perhaps not the best book to start with if you haven't got much background in Spanish literture or history, but if you do this is a must. (and just in case you ever play trivial pursuit in Spain-the equivalent of the Tony awards in the US is called the the Max awards in honor of Sr. Estrella.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails