Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mmmmmm.

There is no food I love more than arepas. As a kids I loved the day when my mom would surprise us with an oven full of arepas, the smell, the crunch, the thump to check if they were ready, the diablito (deviled ham) and melted cheese inside, and the cold glass of chocolate milk to wash it all down was...still is...paradise. I've started to make them here in Spain too, Diego loves them almost as much as me. So, I was surprised to see this the other day care of Mark Bittman, whom I came to love thanks to Spain-On the Road Again, making arepas. He makes a very different version of an arepa-thats not really close to the original and makes me wonder if he ever had a real arepa-but his recipe still looks like something I'm going to have to try soon. As for Hugo Chavez...not a fan. As for the book The Open Veins of Latin America I read it in grad school and it is definately a good read if you want a more recent history of Latin America. Enjoy the video and try Bittman's arepas or the traditional arepas found here and in Venezuela.

2 comments:

style-for-style said...

his don't look as good.
also, I had arepas in Costa Rica, yumyumyum

Mickey said...

yum yum yum! I want one now!!!! Maybe i'll make mom some tonight.

Related Posts with Thumbnails